Thursday, April 06, 2006

Rainy Day


I'm so glad it's raining so I can get some things done inside -- actually got the kitchen clean, found a bunch of good eBay things and made some banana bread with Bailey. Bailey also helped me pot up some tomato seedlings -- Burpee Brandy Boys (which totally don't look like tomatoes - see pic) and Principe Borghese sauce/drying tomatoes -- I'm waiting for my Fresh Salsa tomatoes to get a bit bigger - Burpee only sent about 10 seeds in the $3.45 package so they better be good - they're supposed to be more meaty than standard. Also potted the one Imperial Star annual artichoke that made it.

As usual I bought way too many seed varieties for the size of my garden and our capacity to eat veggies. I always say that I'll just put in a couple of each thing - but can't stand letting healthy seedlings die out -- I do palm some off on the neighbors though.

Last year I ordered mostly from Territorial Seed Co in Oregon -- all were quite good, but they're a bit pricey. This year I went to the other coast and ordered from Pinetree Garden Seeds in Maine -- very reasonable but slow - they say shipping will take 2 weeks and they're not overestimating. New stuff I'm trying this year include artichoke, spagetti squash, edamame, golden baby belle peppers, cornichon cucumbers, ornamental gourds and Cinderella pumpkins.

I got the potatoes -- Kennebec and Yukon Gold -- red and white onion sets and Golden beets in yesterday - they are enjoying the rain as well.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum...I really want to plant some of those golden beets this year too, they sounded so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home