Friday, August 04, 2006

Back from vacation -- Yikes


We'll I returned from Michigan to find weeds had triumphed and my automatic sprinkler set up failed -- the water just squirted out from around the gasket. Per usual, I have found myself to be a fair (but not too fair) weather gardener. As the temps went into the 90s and held, I stayed inside. For a few days it wasn't much cooler inside - but that's another story. Weeds (and Hyacinth bean vine) must love the heat because they flourished while my cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and lettuce gave up the ghost.

I had to spend one day getting my front yard into shape -- the rose hedge looked awful and the shrubs were all overgrown and the hostas weed-ridden. Plus we're still technically on vacation so I used up valuable weeding time going with the fam to the Newport Aquarium (we got to pet sharks - very cool), to the Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom water park and to various movies. All good stall tactics in 98 degree weather.

I have harvested more green beans, peppers, potatoes and tomatoes -- though I am disappointed with the tomatoes -- small, not many and not too flavorful. I had such high hopes for this year and I feel like a flop. Maybe next year I'll give up and plant the whole thing with annual flowers! Well, I suppose not. I did go out and weed a bit tonight. I suppose I'll clear out the dead stuff, add a bit of compost and get it ready to plant for a fall garden. Usually things are going so well into September that I don't have the space for fall plantings. The power of positive thinking, right?

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment. I love the name Pewee Valley, sounds like a great place. I'm going to add you to my list of garden blog links and visit some more. Would you add my blog to your list? (I see you also use raised beds, like I do. And those tomatoes look wonderful.)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger zelia said...

wow Patty, it still looks really great to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home