Thursday, June 22, 2006

Love those root crops


I seem to be having the best luck with my root crops this year -- though I did finally notice a few tomatoes actually starting on my sickly plants. Anyway -- I dug my first few garlic heads and have them hanging in the shed to cure. I couldn't resist cracking one open though and trying it -- sauteed 2 sliced cloves in olive oil and tossed with pasta and fresh basil -- so good. The heads came out very well -- nice and large considering I planted run-of-the-mill grocery store garlic last October. I still have about 6 more heads to pull -- what to do with all the garlic is now the question -- considering no one else in the house likes it (what a surprise).

They do, however, like carrots. I was thining my over-wintering Meridia carrots (supposed to take 150 days to mature) and pulled out these 6-inch long beauties. They have a great flavor too -- better than the Short and Sweet I also planted. I started a couple more rows of carrots - one in front of the tomatoes and another where I pulled some potatoes last week -- at least everyone will eat them. I have had a small success though. Emma actually eats the Bibb lettuce without complaint -- baby steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home