Saturday, September 02, 2006

My favorite summer treats


I just realized that summer was almost over and I hadn't made my favorite thing --- a Tomato and Cheese Galette from my Baking With Julia book. It has a crust with corn meal in it and almost a full stick of butter. The topping is monterey jack with slivered basil leaves topped with slices of plum tomato. So good. My tomato plants are so sad now though, I just hope I'll get enough to make another one. The Jolly Elves are the only ones producing.

I also made some more Jalopeno poppers. And I found a recipe for pepper relish in a 1922 Ball Blue Book that I'm going to adapt for hot peppers -- I have a full colander of peppers and I can't possibly eat that many poppers (well I could, but I'd regret it). Also in the book was an interesting recipe for pickled Nasturtiums -- the seed pods left after it flowers can be pickled and used as a substitute for capers.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Blogger Christa said...

Your tomato and cheese galette looks delicious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home