Saturday, June 03, 2006

June 1st

I have high hopes for June. I think May weather held the garden back again -- or just me jumping the gun as usual -- some friends of mine are just now planting. The date of the Kentucky Derby is what most people go by around here -- the first Saturday in May. They say after Derby it's safe to plant. I was done way before then, of course -- likely why nothing has really taken off. After I took my June 1 progress photo we got just buckets of rain -- parts of the road flooded -- at least for a few hours. This morning it looks like things are starting to grow -- the tomatoes seem to have grown a few inches overnight and the peppers too. The Kwintus beans are also winding their way up their supports.

On the down side - all my hostas and black-eyed susans in the side garden are riddled with holes -- I'll have to figure out what's getting them. I checked this really interesting book out of the library the other day -- Trowel & Error: Over 700 Shortcuts, Tips & Remedies for the Gardener, by Sharon Lovejoy. It has a lot of interesting advice on everything from organizing your tools and handy ways to recycle items for use in the garden, to planting tips, to recipes for pest and disease control, etc. Most just use things you'd have in your cupboard -- I may try the Healthy HollyHock spray (mine always look awful) -- 1.5 tsp baking soda, 1 tbs canola oil, 1/2 tsp soap, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 gallon of water. I have it all and it's worth a try. I may actually have to buy this book myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home