Sunday, May 28, 2006

Strawberry Nirvana

I picked so many strawberries today! I can't believe how many my small plot has yielded. I picked a brimming colander full today and made strawberry shortcake with pureed berries and cream biscuits -- topped with vanilla ice cream. Once again my insane offspring would not even try it -- this is why I now hate cooking. Well, more for us. Tomorrow I will make freezer jam -- that, at least, I know they'll eat.

I picked my first few sugar snap peas, then a storm on Thursday night knocked the tops of all the vines over the edge of the fence and practically snapped them off -- maybe they'll still get enough juice to produce a few more. Some of the potato plants also fell over -- those should be fine though.

The heat and humidity have set in -- now I'll have to force myself out first thing in the morning to keep the weeds down.

2 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just found your blog via monstertown. I love it, what a great garden, I wish I had all that space, mine is concrete and I have been slowly breaking it up for nearly 3 years (it's very very deep). I hope I get time to visit your blog again... if I'm not out chipping my concrete all day :0)

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger phreed83 said...

Thanks Cally - it's always fun to see someone other than my sister (miss monstertown) sees it. My last garden was in a postage-stamp-size yard that was all concrete (hidden under 2 inches of soil and grass so we didn't know immediately) I ended up doing raised beds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home