Monday, April 24, 2006

Help! too many projects!




What ever happened to all the time I used to spend just sitting and reading a book. Now I listen to audiobooks and multi-task. There is hardly a time anymore where I just sit. I always have to do something else as well -- fold laundry, sew something, write listings. And none of it ever gets done -- I feel like Hercules in the stables (it was stables, right?) -- the shit just keeps piling up! Anyway - luckily the garden (though it never is "done" either) at least lets me focus on a single task and zone out.

Though it rained most of last week I did manage to get nearly finished with my pond/foundation project in the back. I'm waiting for the weedkiller to work along the inside of where I edged before I can fill it with mulch. A frog has already moved into my little pond - though Maggie is determined to get it. She stares for hours at the pond and leaps into it as soon as my back is turned. She comes into the house a complete mudball.

I got the Mantis out again and used the edger - a bit hard to control, but it works well. I spent Sunday afternoon working on that and gained a few square feet in front of the strawberries where I could see how out of square the front edge of the garden was. Totally satisfying my need for order and symmetry. I may use the space for an emergency tomato plant -- the ones in the Square of Doom aren't looking that hot. I got the marigolds in around the edges - I had a really tough time finding yellow ones. I also divided and planted many more hostas - this time from my neighbor on the other side -- I can't believe people actually want to get rid of them. My plan is to keep dividing and replanting until the whole side yard is nothing but hostas.

The potatoes are starting to emerge and I saw the first edamame bean starting to break the surface. I prepared the soil for the pumpkins and gourds and hope to get those in - as well as the cucumbers and squash - tomorrow if at all possible. I still need to dig up and till the perennial bed - but everything is growing too fast. Plus with all this outside work - the inside of the house is a pit - even though I spent most of Friday on it -- again Hercules syndrome.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, it's the same for me. I never read books anymore and I used to read several each week! Sadly I don't know anything that can help. Maybe get Emma and Steve to pitch in a bit more? We've started doing "Saturday morning chores" and it helps a lot.

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger phreed83 said...

More trouble than it's worth -- I am way too much of a control freak. Plus I've gotten to the point where I just can't make myself stop. I did sit down and watch Good Night and Good Luck tonight though and didn't even fold laundry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home