Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day


I finally got the pond finished to my satisfaction - so I can post a pic. The whole area turned out pretty well. Altogether I think it cost -- $10 for the weed barrier, $20 for all the hollies, $10 for the tree, and $20 for the mulch so - $60 is not too bad.

The sun is out between storms so I finished up with the transplanting. I read something on a Dave's Garden forum where someone had good luck growing purple coneflowers in full shade so I stuck 6 extra clumps of the stuff in the back of my hosta garden. I think those are like daylilies and hostas -- you can't kill them if you try. I put in some more extras into a new planting next to the steps from the patio to the yard - it's a slope - I put in hostas, coneflowers, daylilies, shasta daisies and russian sage -- no fussy flowers for me.

I'm already on deathwatch for the tomatoes -- the Brandy Boy looks pretty sickly, but the Borghese aren't too bad. Maybe they'll pull through. I still need to put in my pumpkin and zucchini seeds. I made this really good yellow summer squash this weekend, so I may have to plant some of that too. - peel and slice it - saute in olive oil with a clove of garlic, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and fresh oregano - cook until soft, serve with freshly grated pecorino/romano or parmesan cheese. So good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home