Thursday, May 18, 2006

Yummy

Kind of a boring week around here - cool temps, rain and gray skies have put the garden into a holding pattern. Nothing seems to be making progress except the strawberries. These are the first few -- though Bailey did snag a couple this weekend. I've also been harvesting a few of my red fire lettuce leaves. I think I'll slice these up with some lettuce, toasted almonds and poppyseed dressing for lunch.

I finished weeding out the dill bed - vast overstatement as only 5 seeds germinated in said "bed." I may just fill it in with calendula - how much dill do I really need. I bought some 5-for-a-dollar seed packets at the grocery store yesterday to fill in with. So far I'm quite disappointed with the performance of this garden this year - no spinach, stunted tomatoes, stunted peppers, no parsley, no dill, very few beets and problem green beans. I guess it's early days yet. Hopefully the warmer weather that is supposedly coming will perk things up. A Brownie mom gave me some large coriander, some Morning Glory vines and another vine I forgot - I'll have to get those in later today. My neighbor also gave me a few sweet potato plants and a couple varieties of tomatoes her dad grew - Red October and Black something or other - she said it's purple. If things don't improve I'm going to have to bust out the Miracle Grow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home